are all 3 stop codons equally efficient

Duncan Clark junk at
Fri Aug 30 10:26:36 EST 2002

Historians believe that in newspost
<9f2bfec.0208290455.13dad95a at> on Thu, 29 Aug 2002,
Josmar Langner <jlangner at> penned the following literary
>I'm wondering, if all 3 stop codons are equally efficient in E.coli.

I've seem something on this a long long time ago, but can't remember
where or what. I think a good old E.coli genetics book would give the

A quick hunt follows:

TAG would be a bad choice as it is suppressed in supE and supF E.coli's
which are reasonably common (plus suppressed by other sup genes)

TAA can also be suppressed by supG, supC and supV.

I prefer to use TGA although it too can be suppressed, but not by
'standard' laboratory E.coli's

pp 163-166 in Jeffrey Millers CSH book, Experiments in Molecular

they go flying by.

Duncan Clark
GeneSys Ltd.