Intro to mouse handling and genetics?

Ian A. York iayork at panix.com
Mon Dec 9 09:41:18 EST 2002

My wife is halfway through making her first KO mouse.  While trying to
plan out her next steps, she keeps running into little things that
all the mouse people take for granted, but that she isn't familiar with;
as well as some of the big things.  What she wants is a mid-sized,
medium-priced book that goes through mouse handling in some detail, with
particular emphasis on transgenics and knockouts.

It doesn't have to be a book, but she hasn't found what she wants (i.e.
the right degree of detail) on the web yet.  She can stick it on her
boss's grant if it's less than $50; so far she's only found a $200 book,
and her boss won't let her order it.

Some of the things she complained about to me, were not knowing at what
age you can breed a mouse, how many is an average litter size, and what
average goes from the chimeras to germline.  These things have all been
answered now, but give examples of the levels of questions she wants
answered.

Any suggestions?