Intro to mouse handling and genetics?

Wolfgang Schechinger hubahopp at gmx.de
Mon Dec 9 16:58:15 EST 2002

Hello Ian,

My spouse knows a book,hopefully it's what your wife is looking for:

Dear Ian,

I don't know what kind of question does your wife have?
But I know there is one book

"Laboratory protocols for conditional gene targeting"

written by Raul M. Torres and Ralf Kuehn
The ISBN is 0-19-963677; and pressed by oxford university

This is a guidebook for making transgenic mice. It explans all procedure
step by step!
And it should be cheap! I think!

YaPing

yaping.ko@!#$B-NOSPAM%^&**uni-koeln.de

At 02:41 PM 2002/12/9 +0000, Ian A. York wrote:
>My wife is halfway through making her first KO mouse.  While trying to
>plan out her next steps, she keeps running into little things that
>all the mouse people take for granted, but that she isn't familiar with;
>as well as some of the big things.  What she wants is a mid-sized,
>medium-priced book that goes through mouse handling in some detail, with
>particular emphasis on transgenics and knockouts.
>
>It doesn't have to be a book, but she hasn't found what she wants (i.e.
>the right degree of detail) on the web yet.  She can stick it on her
>boss's grant if it's less than $50; so far she's only found a $200 book,
>and her boss won't let her order it.
>
>Some of the things she complained about to me, were not knowing at what
>age you can breed a mouse, how many is an average litter size, and what
>average goes from the chimeras to germline.  These things have all been
>answered now, but give examples of the levels of questions she wants
>answered.
>
>Any suggestions?
>--
>    Ian York   (iayork at panix.com)  <http://www.panix.com/~iayork/>
>    "-but as he was a York, I am rather inclined to suppose him a
>     very respectable Man." -Jane Austen, The History of England

---