RedTaq

Duncan Clark junk at hgmp.mrc.ac.uk
Wed Dec 11 11:21:09 EST 2002

Historians believe that in newspost <3df75806.28670734 at news.uit.no> on
Wed, 11 Dec 2002, Gerd Nilsen <gerdn at ibg.uit.no> penned the following
literary masterpiece:
>To troubleshoot, I skiped the plant material and just added clean DNA
>and primers to the PCR kit.  plant DNA (6 ng),  10-mer primer, 95 C
>denaturing, 35 C annealing (don't ask me why, I just stept into a
>ongoing procedure to test the new kit), 72 C elongation, 40 cycles.

This looks like a RAPD protocol

>Works like a charm with Dynazyme, but not with the REDExtract-N-Amp
>Plant PCR Kit.

RAPD is supposedly very particular about the enzyme you use. Change that
and the optimised set of conditions are no longer optimal.

Never used the kit so I can't say what the main problem is. Red coloured
enzymes are down to addition of red dye. The enzyme and it's activity,
if done properly (i.e. not too much dye) is identical to non-coloured
enzyme.

Duncan
they go flying by.

Duncan Clark