RedTaq

Deanne Bell dbell at fresno.ars.usda.gov
Wed Dec 11 11:30:40 EST 2002

Hi Gerd

We started out years ago using TaqPolymerase and then went to Taq Gold when it was developed (no promotional intentions here).  Then there was a whole flood of polymerase enzymes being released that were less expensive, so we tried some of them.  I found that each polymerase enzyme has its own "optimum conditions".  Using conditions and primers previoulsy optimized for one brand or type of enzyme usually will not work using another enzyme.

If you are starting a new project, you need to screen primers, optimize [DNA], optimize [MgCl], and optimize annealing temps with the brand of enzyme that you intend to use throughout the whole experiment.  Do not  switch to another enzyme mid-stream.

I have also tried the REDTaq and the Extract-n-amp kit with very disappointing results.  Extract-n-amp is a quick and dirty extraction where plant DNA is SERIOUSLY degraded, so it may be OK if you are doing PCRs that amplify short fragments.  But for RAPDs, AFLPs, ISSRs (PCRs with larger fragments). . . it is not the way to go.

Just my 2cents worth, hope it helps!

Deanne Bell