Help, my negative control is positive

Kyle Legate legatek at mcmail.cis.mcmaster.ca
Fri Dec 13 14:59:04 EST 2002

On 13 Dec 2002, Peter wrote:

> Every time i do a Western Blot using a polyclonal antiserum against a
> recombinant protein i get a band in my negative lane. It is the same
> band as in the lane with only the recombinant protein and the postive
> cell controll. It is the only band i see. Does someone know the
> answer??

What are you using for your negative control? Uninduced cells? The band
might result from a leaky promoter. Untransformed cells? The band might
result from an endogenous homologue or a unlucky cross-reaction product.

legatek at mcmaster.ca		Kyle Legate            legatek at hotmail.com

   Tower of Tongues:Thursday PM:10:30-11:30 EDT:http://cfmu.mcmaster.ca
    moon musick:ritual:IDM:experimental(electronica):minimalism:glitch