noncomplementary primers amd pfu polymerase

Michael Witty mw132 at mole.bio.cam.ac.uk
Wed Feb 6 14:53:11 EST 2002

On Wed, 6 Feb 2002, Duncan Clark wrote:

> Historians believe that in newspost
> <Pine.SGI.4.33.0202051728420.8765856-100000 at mole.bio.cam.ac.uk> on the
> Tue, 5 Feb 2002, Michael Witty <mw132 at mole.bio.cam.ac.uk> penned the
> following literary masterpiece:
> >. . . Peter: do you mean Pfu and Pwo are the same enzyme?  Mike.
>
> Same DNA sequence in Genbank or EMBL.
>
> Bugs isolated from same location on Vulcano, probably same vent. There
> isn't that much of choice on Vulcano , I know 'cos we have sampled there
> as well!
>
> Duncan

Dear Duncan,
           do you have accession numbers for Pfu and Pwo?  I just searched
through USPTO and found a patent that said "Pwo polymerase" but when I
searched the protein sequence database the same sequence was labelled
VENT/Pfu polymerase!  There is some confusion, at least at my end!

P.S. Did you have any luck getting heat stable enzymes from volcanic
microbes?  Or were the enzymes as heat vulnerable as mesophiles?

Regards, Mike.