DNA stabilization

Duncan Clark junk at hgmp.mrc.ac.uk
Tue Feb 19 07:10:50 EST 2002

Historians believe that in newspost
<20020217130926.14873.qmail at ww02.jatek.com> on Sun, 17 Feb 2002, Ricardo
Dias <rpmdias at clix.pt> penned the following literary masterpiece:
>Usualy big DNA fragments (> 50Kpb) have tendency  to breaking down when
>
>handling.
>
>Does anybody have idea of some method to stabilize the DNA in operations of
>
>DNA fragment sizing by flow cytometry ?

I presume they are breaking by physical shearing. The only way to sort
that is to handle more gently i.e. slow flow rate, wide bore tubing
etc., probably totally the opposite of what you have to do for flow
sorting.

As far am I aware there is no way to add anything to stop shearing.

Duncan

sliced from time to time....

Duncan Clark
GeneSys Ltd.