Expression of membrane proptein

Kyle Legate legatek at mcmail.cis.mcmaster.ca
Sat Feb 23 14:01:13 EST 2002

On 22 Feb 2002, rajneeli wrote:

> I have some problem in expression of membrane protein. I am using
> pKK-223 vector and E. Coli JM105 for the expression. Even though I
> have expression, it is very little.

E. coli have only 1 membrane, so if you're expressing a membrane-bound
version of your protein it should come as no surprise that the expression
is poor. I think you have 3 options:
1. Accept the low expression level and work with it,
2. increase the expression level through experimenting with different
promoter constructs and deal with the inclusion body mess
that results,
3. generate a truncated, soluble version of your protein or fuse it to
something that renders it soluble.

legatek at mcmaster.ca		Kyle Legate            legatek at hotmail.com

   Tower of Tongues:Thursday PM:10:30-11:30 EDT:http://cfmu.mcmaster.ca
    moon musick:ritual:IDM:experimental(electronica):minimalism:glitch