gotta get my $%#&* cells to STICK!!

john.hines at yale.edu john.hines at yale.edu
Wed Feb 27 19:30:20 EST 2002

In article
<Pine.SGI.4.33.0202270144550.2005324-100000 at mole.bio.cam.ac.uk>, Michael
Witty <mw132 at mole.bio.cam.ac.uk> wrote:

> On Tue, 26 Feb 2002 john.hines at yale.edu wrote:
>
> > As you can probably tell from my subject line, I am having some profound
> > difficulties getting my cells to stick to tissue culture dishes.  This is
> > a problem, since I want to do IHC on them.
>
> . . . are there two kinds of tissue culture dishes: ones to stick cells to
> the bottom and ones that do not stick cells? (like my bind and non-bind
> microtitre plates).

Yes, there are.  The ones that are manufactured to allow for cells to
stick on the bottom are specially treated.  Those are the ones that I
currently use.  However, for differentiated cells this earlier treatment
of the plastic is often not enough and requires the use of extra coatings
as well.

I've tried gelatin -- perhaps collagen or elastin would be superior?

John