In vitro knockout?

Warren Gallin wgallin at gpu.srv.ualberta.ca
Mon Jan 7 15:29:13 EST 2002

John,
	Current Protocols in Molecular Biology, 4th volume, Chapter 23,
sections 5 (single knockout) and 6 (double knockout).  Described for
mouse ES cells, but no reason why it should not work for any diploid
cell line (maybe even aneuploid, but not described in this manual).
	This double knockout technique was developed by Rick Mortensen at
Harvard Medical School.
Warren

John Ladasky wrote:

> Greetings, fellow Bionetters,
>
> It has been a while since I've visited here.  Hope you all are doing
> well.
>
> I am interesting in knocking out a gene, but I don't want to have to
> go through the trouble of generating a transgenic animal to perform
> the knockout.  It hardly looks like it's worth the great expense in
> time and money for the small amount of data I expect to obtain.
Snip
> Someone must have thought of this before.  I've been combing Medline
> to try to find a reference to this technique.  Maybe I haven't come up
> with the right combination of key words.  Has anyone seen a reference
> to an X-chromosome somatic cell knockout?  Or can you comment on the
> validity of this strategy?
Snip