most constant gene during development

Nick Theodorakis nicholas_theodorakis at urmc.rochester.edu
Thu Jan 10 17:13:44 EST 2002

In <Fkm%7.7389$aD.248696 at twister2.libero.it>, Stefi~ wrote:

>"Nick Theodorakis" <nicholas_theodorakis at urmc.rochester.edu> ha
scritto nel
>messaggio news:kr5%7.10935$cD4.23885 at www.newsranger.com...
>> I would be surprised if you can find one. There can be huge changes in
>gene
>> expression patterns and levels during differentiation and development.
>>
>> Maybe you should tell us what problem you are trying to solve.
>
>I'm trying to reveal if there is an accumulation of a specific mRNA during
>Bufo's development. To avoid working with mRNA and Northern, I want to
>convert my specific mRNAs in ssDNA using fluorescein-dUTP and
Reverse
>Trascriptase. But, my signals, to be published, need to be normalized
versus
>a gene which mantains constant levels during development. Thanx so
much!

If you have probe for it, IMO Northern is probably your best bet. Then you
can show a picture of the EtB-stained gel or the methylene blue stained
blot to show you have equal loading and not even have to worry about a
"control" gene, which you may not be able to find.

Is there a particular reason you are trying to avoid a northern?

Nick

--
Nick Theodorakis
nicholas_theodorakis at urmc.rochester.edu