Sophie sweiss at
Wed Jan 16 12:06:28 EST 2002

I am having major problems carrying out western blots. I ALWAYS end up with
a smear down the lane instead of a tight, compact band. I know that my
protein isn't degraded and that the antibodies are specific to the protein
and I have remade all my buffers. The only thing I can think of that might
be causing a problem is the acrylamide. I read that acrylamide can last up
to 9 months unopened and mine has been open for about 18 months, do you
think this could be affeecting my gels?

Any help and comments is much appreciated.