Acrylamide

dbell dbell at qnis.net
Thu Jan 17 13:23:06 EST 2002

On Thursday, January 17, 2002 7:35 AM, D.K. [SMTP:dk at no.email.thankstospam.net] wrote:
: Michael Witty <mw132 at mole.bio.cam.ac.uk> wrote:
: >> sweiss at icr.ac.uk wrote:
: >> >
: >> >I am having major problems carrying out western blots. I ALWAYS end up with
: >> >a smear down the lane instead of a tight, compact band. I know that my
: >> >protein isn't degraded and that the antibodies are specific to the protein
: >> >and I have remade all my buffers. The only thing I can think of that might
: >> >be causing a problem is the acrylamide. I read that acrylamide can last up
: >> >to 9 months unopened and mine has been open for about 18 months, do you
: >> >think this could be affeecting my gels?
: >> >
: >>
: >> Could be many things but don't blame it on acrylamide. Here we use
: >> some terrible junk given in large quantity for free about 8 years ago and
: >> it works fine for SDS-PAGE/westerns. Acrylamaide quality is only
: >> important for non-SDS applications.
: >
: >.. . . why is acrylamide quality only important for non-SDS applications?
:
: Because it is clearly not important for SDS-PAGE :-)
:
: DK

For those of us that are ignorant - please explain what you seem to think is so clear!!
Deanne Bell
USDA Agricultural Research Service
9611 S. Riverbend Avenue
Parlier, CA 93648