nature of "radiolysis" of probes

D.K. dk at no.email.thankstospam.net
Fri Jan 18 23:31:07 EST 2002

#2. P-32 decay energy is much higher (~10-fold IIRC) than that of P-33
(that's actually the only reason P-33 results in sharper bands). The very
word radiolysis implies breaking down. That's what happens when you hit
any molecule too hard too many times.

Standard, age-old recommendations to reduce radiolysis:

- Dilute the isotope as much as you can afford it.
- Add non-radioactive "carrier".
- Keep high energy compounds like P-32 at -70C

DK