freezer storage of lymphocytes (buffy coats) prior to DNA extraction

bprman bprman at hotmail.com
Mon Jan 21 13:04:43 EST 2002

I have been asked the following question by a collaborator regarding storage
of cells prior to genomic DNA extraction.  They are going to spin blood
samples into buffies (lymphocyte layer) and remove plasma for other
experiments.
"I note that there is a misspelling in my earlier message regarding freezing
of cells before DNA extraction. The question was whether it would be OK to
freeze the cells at minus 80 degrees centigrade immediately after plasma is
extracted without freezing medium, which uses up a lot of FCS. Please
comment."

I seem to recal that this is fine, but since we have always worked with
whole blood, I need help answering the question.

Thanks