Autoclaving MES

Michael L. Sullivan mlsulliv at facstaff.wisc.edu
Wed Jan 23 14:43:37 EST 2002

>. . . anyone tried this?  Or does it break down.  Mike.

I've used MES as a buffering agent in plant tissue culture media before,
using an autoclaved stock and then re-autoclaving the media.  From the pH
adustment prior to the second autoclaving, the MES had certainly retained
buffering capacity, although I couldn't tell you that there was no
breakdown at all.  It is certainly a fairly standard practice to make plant
tissue culture media and autoclave it with the MES in it, but I suppose
that doesn't mean there are no effects on the MES, just that that is how a
lot of people do it!

Hope this was somewhat helpful.

Mike

---