Autoclaving MES

Michael Witty mw132 at mole.bio.cam.ac.uk
Wed Jan 23 16:32:08 EST 2002

On Wed, 23 Jan 2002, Michael Witty wrote:

> On 23 Jan 2002, Michael L. Sullivan wrote:
>

> > >. . . anyone tried this?  Or does it break down.  Mike.
> >

> > I've used MES as a buffering agent in plant tissue culture media before,
> > using an autoclaved stock and then re-autoclaving the media.  From the pH
> > adustment prior to the second autoclaving, the MES had certainly retained
> > buffering capacity, although I couldn't tell you that there was no
> > breakdown at all.  It is certainly a fairly standard practice to make plant
> > tissue culture media and autoclave it with the MES in it, but I suppose
> > that doesn't mean there are no effects on the MES, just that that is how a
> > lot of people do it!
> >
> > Hope this was somewhat helpful.
> >
> > Mike
>
> . . . Thanks Mike.  I also phoned up the manufacturer: the real guy in the
> Factory up north who makes it.  He is a chemist and says it should be
> "stable way above 120 degrees".  I will bravely risk my 20x stock.  But
> tomorrow.  Regards, Mike W.

. . . but wait!  A quick Google search has turned up
http://www.fgcz.unizh.ch/Affymetrix_manual.pdf and
http://www.cancergenetics.med.ohio-state.edu/microarray/protocols/GeneChipAssay1.pdf
which say MES should not be autoclaved.  And furthermore to throw it away
if it turns yellow (though this is not true because my bright yellow 20x
MES stock for PAGE is still working fine.  Life is so complex!  Mike.