Maximmum distance for lox-cre???

Edgar Valencia-Morales edgar at cifn.unam.mx
Wed Jan 30 19:37:47 EST 2002

Hi Guys

We have used the lox-cre site specific recombinase system to make some
deletions in our strains. These deletions are no bigger than 5 kb.
However, we would like to try to create deletions of around 30 kb and we
wonder whether the lox-cre system could work.
Does anybody have any experience using this system for such distances?
does anybody know whether there's a distance limit for this
recombination system? if it is so, is there any other site-specific
recombination system which might act on targets 30+ kbs apart?

TIA
Edgar

---