RNA extraction from pancreas

Roland Hubner roland.hubner at ua.ac.be
Mon Jul 8 16:15:28 EST 2002

Hi Daniel,

 RNA extraction from pancreas can be tremendously difficult depending on
species (activity/quantity of RNase; plenty in acini) but you are not in
this case  ;^)

 10 years back (TRIzol just appeared on market) I had no troubles to
isolate it from rat pancreas with acidic phenol according to the now
classic acidic phenol method of Piotr Chomczynski... one step,
monophasic solution [just fill 50 ml tube with GITC, some salt, add the
water & phenol] or two step worked fine...

 Though, spin at _FULL_ speed (+ 20.000 g in my case; test tubes first,
as the cheaper brands crack)...

 Perhaps you (also) use too much pancreas per isolation? Try using 10x
less...

Good luck,
 Roland