Fungus RNA isolation

Volker Jacobi Volker.Jacobi at rsvs.ulaval.ca
Tue Jul 9 11:51:34 EST 2002

Greetings,

we are using Trizol Reagent for isolation of total RNA from a fungus that
can be either grown as yeast or as mycelium. RNA extraction from yeast
cells works well. But when we work with mycelium we get a lower yield and
multiple bands (degradation?). We follow the standard Trizol protocol
provided with the reagent. Our tissue is prepared as follows: grown on
cellophane over solid medium, harvested, ground to powder in liquid
nitrogen and stored at -80C.

Do you have any suggestions/tricks on how to isolate RNA from mycelium
using Trizol that could improve quantity and quality of the RNA?

Best wishes,
Volker

Volker Jacobi, PhD
Université Laval
Récherche en sciences de la vie et de la santé
Centre de recherche en biologie forèstière
2212 Pavillon C.-E. Marchand
Sainte-Foy, Québec, Canada G1K 7P4

Téléphone: 418.656.2131 (postes 12521, 4598, 4403)
Télécopieur: 418.656.7493

---