streaky page gels

Andrew J. Cary andrew.cary at yale.edu
Tue Jul 9 16:35:11 EST 2002

I'll throw in my two cents.  I have had streaky gels twice.  Once when
there was not enough SDS in the running buffer.  The sds was slowly
titered off during the run and so made a nice smear down the lane.  This
is probably not your problem since your standards run fine.  The other was
when I had too much detergent in my sample (I am working with a membrane
receptor).  This caused streaking down the whole lane.  You might be
carring over something even through the precipitation etc.  Maybe changing
your clean up would help.  Perhaps a de-salting gel filtration column
prior to the TCA precipitation???

Good Luck
Andy

--
Andrew J. Cary
Dept of Molecular, Cellular and Developmental Biology