C-terminal fusion vector

ChenHA Hzhen at freeuk.com
Mon Jul 15 13:35:04 EST 2002

"Frank O. Fackelmayer" wrote:

> It seems there are only vectors available that are the other way round. Strange...

A reason why they are like that is because one determinant of effective
protein expression is the translation initiation.  The region which may
affect this includes the beginning of the gene.  Since different
proteins will have different initial sequences, you will have variable
protein expression if the fusion partner (such as GST) lies at the
C-terminus.  Putting the fusion partner at the N-terminus solve this
little problem so that you get consistently high protein expression
level (barring other problems like proteolysis).  I suspect the folding
properties of the fusion partner may also be important as to why this is
so.