Help!! transcription of Antisense strand

Peter Ashby p.r.ashby at MAPS.dundee.ac.uk
Sat Jul 20 09:57:15 EST 2002

In article <20020718040315.25047.qmail at ww02.hostica.com>,
 kunika_jain at rediffmail.com wrote:

> Dear All ,
>
> I have a conceptual problem. I want to produce a PCR  template for
> transcription of Antisense strand.
>
> Please verify if my understanding is right, if I say:
>
> 1. The promoter sequence will be added to the 5' end of the downstream or
> antisense primer.  If yes then what will be the status of the stop codon that
> is present as the very last codon of my ORF??

it will no longer be the stop codon since you are transcriping the
antisense, or non coding strand.

> 2. What will be the significance of the added tag that comes after the stop
> codon.

Since it usually forms only  a very small percentage of the probe, very
little.

> 2. Is it the right approach?

Yes, though I have found I get better efficiency with some sequence
5prime of the polymerase promoter.

> 3. In this case do I need to have a start codon in my promoter tag it self.

No. I assume you want to make antisense for a probe. In this case start
and stop codons are meaningless since you are only making rna not
translating it into protein.

Peter

--
Peter Ashby