RNase-free water

Warren Gallin wgallin at gpu.srv.ualberta.ca
Sun Jul 28 13:47:31 EST 2002

"S.Ballal" wrote:

> Please excuse me if you find my question basic.  I am not an expert in
> molecular biology but can RNAse survive a good autoclavation cycle???
>
> I know it is heat resistant but after 20- 30 min or say 60 min at 121
> C will it be still active ?
>
> S.Ballal
> Ahmedabad, India

The answer is yes.  RNase is very resistant to denaturation by heat and
other methods.  It was the first enzyme to be synthesized by the
Merrifield method, chosen at least partially because after the repeated
denaturation in organic solvents that are part of the synthetic process
it would still refold and be enzymatically active (I believe about 3% of
the specific activity of the best enzyme preparation).  The only ways
that I know of to irreversibly inactivate are a) irreversible chemical
modification by reagents such as DEPC and b) digestion with a protease
like proteinase K that will degrade it into very small peptides.

Warren Gallin