RNase-free water

Michael Witty mw132 at mole.bio.cam.ac.uk
Mon Jul 29 08:51:33 EST 2002

On Mon, 29 Jul 2002, Duncan Clark wrote:

> >we regularly treat deionized water with 0.01% DEPC to render it
> >RNase-free.
>
> Presumably you are autoclaving it which if so does not leave anything
> other than ethanol behind. If you do not autoclave then that level of
> DEPC could certainly cause problems.
>
> Duncan

Duncan,
      I think that people have a great, verging on the religious, faith in
autoclaving.  I used to autoclave all tips and tubes until one day I took
apart a plastic rack that had been re-used and re-autoclaved many times
and found a layer of tar-like gunge at the bottom.  I suspect this is from
aerosols during boiling of liquids inside the autoclave (a very large
communal one for a whole department).  Since than I have been taking tips
from my own personal bags and using them unautoclaved for _every_ purpose.
So far no problems.