Conservation of Eukaryotic polIII promoters

And'ys bionet andrew.bettany at
Tue Jul 30 05:22:21 EST 2002

Would anyone be able to tell me (or point me in the right direction) how
highly conserved pol III promoters are?  The background to this is as

I would like to use Ambion's pSilencer 1.0 -U6 vector which "Expresses siRNA
within mammalian cells using a U6 Polymerase III promoter".  However, I
would like to use it in a *plant* cell.  I have contacted Ambion, and they
think it should work, but, no disrespect intended to Ambion, I just wondered
if anyone could give me a bit more data to back this up?  It is no trivial
thing to produce and screen the transgenic plants (we don't work with
Arabidopsis) so I would need some reasonable level of assurance that the
thing is likely to work before embarking on this.

Many thanks,

Dr. Andy Bettany
Research Scientist
Institute of Grassland and Environmental Research
Plas Gogerddan
Wales, UK