PCR error rate

Duncan Clark junk at hgmp.mrc.ac.uk
Wed Jun 12 03:53:33 EST 2002

Historians believe that in newspost
<56bb0baf.0206110806.3b50449d at posting.google.com> on Tue, 11 Jun 2002,
Gregory <greg.budziszewski at syngenta.com> penned the following literary
masterpiece:
>The error
>rates ranges from a high as 1 mutation in 350 bases to 1 mutation in
>1400 bases.  The average error rate, calculated from several cDNA
>targets, for the Advantage II polymerase mix was 1 mutation in 500
>bases.  This error rate strikes me as being exceedingly high
>considering that these cocktails are suppose to be more accurate than
>taq.

Sounds pretty much correct. 30-35 cycles is a lot. Don't forget to allow
for the error rate of the RT (and that is much much worse than the PCR
enzyme) and your figures are reasonable.

Have a look at Stratagene's website (or search the archive for this
group) for a Strategies reference which had a lot of data about what you
should expect. Maybe 2-3 years ago.

Duncan
they go flying by.

Duncan Clark