ethanol/isopropanol precipitation

satya lakshmi satyashreee at rediffmail.com
Wed Jun 12 13:17:15 EST 2002

jmeyer1 at uni-bonn.de (Jens Meyer) wrote in message news:<3D061BFF.6657ED83 at uni-bonn.de>...
> hello!
>
> I'm looking for an article that explains the theoretical background of
> precipitating DNA with ethanol or isopropanol. I looked it up in several
> books like Molecular cloning und Short protocols in molecular biology
> but didn't find what I was looking for. Has anyone an idea?
>
> Thanks in advance
> Jens
>
> ---
hi
i think the difference between isopropanol and ethanol precipitation
has got something to do with the solubility of salt.salts are probably
less soluble in isopropanol than ethanol and that is why i guess u
give a 70% ethanol wash to remove salts after precipitaion and not
70%isopropanol!!! this is just my
guess anyway,
hope it helps.
satya