Q: ColE1 and p15A incompatibility

Tim Fitzwater tfitzwater at somalogic.com
Wed Jun 19 09:53:56 EST 2002

>W. C. Lee
>Tue 18 Jun 2002 - 01:55:59 BST
>I have two plasmids that contain p15A replication origin
>but have different antibiotic markers (chl and tet).
>Are they still incompatible? If so, why?
The RNA I antisense transcript against the replication primer RNA makes them
incompatible. See papers published by Polisky or Tomizawa.
Assuming you could titrate the antibiotic selection precisely and at all
phases of growth, the copy number of each would be cut in half.  You would
drop from 10-12 copies per cell down to 5-6 copies.
Tim Fitzwater
SomaLogic, Inc.

---