PCR machine recommendations

Michael L. Sullivan mlsulliv at facstaff.wisc.edu
Thu Jun 20 11:12:52 EST 2002

I'm not sure, but one may have to say "thermal cycler" instead of PCR
machine!  The last lab I worked in had the MJ tetrad, which worked
really nicely.  The programming was easier too than the old MJ
minicycler we had.

Something else to consider from MJ is to get multiple minicyclers
(I'm not sure if these are easier to program than they were a few
years ago).  I don't recall, but when I had looked into it a few
months ago, I thought maybe it would cost the same or less to buy 4
minicylers (with "hot bonnets") instead of 1 DYAD with dual moduals.
Plus, with independent mini's, if something happened to 1 machine,
you'd only lose that part of your capacity.  With a DYAD or tetrad, a
problem with the machine might seriously effect the labs thermal
cycling capacity.

We also have a PE 9700.  It is a nice machine, and programming is
ultra simple.  However, PE models do seem to be more expensive than
competing models.

Mike

--

Michael L. Sullivan,