Freeze Gel to get DNA

christian wessel cobaugh c-cobaugh at eudoramail.com
Fri Jun 28 14:19:06 EST 2002

I'm being encouraged by lab mates to simply freeze gel fragments and siphon off the resulting water to extract the DNA (I have lots of gel fragments and not many Qia-columns).  I found one article that makes a passing mention of this technique called freeze and squeeze, but I am a little bit wary.  Is this technique acceptable?
I am using the purified DNA in an overlap PCR reaction where two different fragments of DNA are PCR'd to create a product where they are overlapped.

thanks,
Christian
---
Christian W. Cobaugh