compound to alter intracellular pH

Mon Mar 4 19:47:43 EST 2002

"Michael Witty" <mw132 at mole.bio.cam.ac.uk> wrote in message
news:Pine.SGI.4.33.0203042119570.2638624-100000 at mole.bio.cam.ac.uk...
> On Mon, 4 Mar 2002, Emir Khatipov wrote:
>
> > What about redox potential, Wolfgang? Are there any cell penetrable
> > chemicals that can change it? I am specifically interested in slightly
> > oxidizing cytoplasm (temporarily), without killing cells of course.
> > Would appreciate your advise,
> > Emir
>
>  . . . how about this paper (which I have not actually read):
>
> High level production of functional antibody Fab fragments in an oxidizing
> bacterial cytoplasm.  Venturi M, Seifert C, Hunte C.  JOURNAL OF MOLECULAR
> BIOLOGY.  315 (1): 1-8 JAN 4 2002
>
> Mike.

These guys used a mutant E.coli strain that lacks thioredoxin and
glutathione reductase. They assumed that this strain has more oxidizing
intracellular environment than the strains expressing these proteins. Not
exactly what I asked about. Moreover, I meant mammalian cells. However,
following the logic of that paper, I would assume that inhibiting
glutathione reductase and thioredoxin should oxidize the cells. I did search
for those inhibitors, and so far found only cis-platimun, which is also
known to crosslink DNA and do lots of more damage, so I would better avoid
using it for that particular purpose.
Thank you for your hint though.

Mathias, sorry for driving the attention of the group to a different subject
using the queue that you started :)

Emir