compound to alter intracellular pH

Tue Mar 5 12:57:19 EST 2002

Mathias,
As for the dissipation of delta-pH for example (which is not exactly what
you were asking for), weak aromatic acids, e.g. benzoic acid, can be used.
However, I don't think it is going to help in case of mammalian cells,
because AFAIK their intracellular pH is similar to the pH of the media, and
there is no pH gradient across the cell membrane itself. Delta pH is
maintained in mitochondria though to allow respiration and ATP generation.
Oligomycin as an inhibitor of F0 subunit of ATPase is another thing that can
be used to dissipate delta-pH.

I just checked Pubmed and found a paper
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi?cmd=Retrieve&db=PubMed&list_ui
ds=9236211&dopt=Abstract that describes that in cells of human, hamster, and
murine origin addition of extracellular NO3- induced an intracellular
acidification. Might be worth checking out. What do you think.

Emir

news:3C83593F.4410C4B1 at gwdg.de...