Transfection without cytotoxicity

Martin Thompson bugeater at
Fri Mar 8 06:03:32 EST 2002

I was wondering if anyone knows of a high efficiency way of transfecting
cell lines (such as NIH 3T3's and HeLa's) without significant cytotoxicity.
I am currently investigating a protein that seems to cause apoptosis.  I am
using transient transfections, but the control transfection (empty vector)
appears to be causing almost as much death as the test transfection (which
seems to be considerable).  I think that is most probably caused by the
transfection reagent I am using (Lipofectamine 2000).
Any suggestions would be appreciated.