Electro competent cells

Duncan Clark junk at hgmp.mrc.ac.uk
Wed Mar 27 06:26:59 EST 2002

Historians believe that in newspost
<20020327010334.19079.00000395 at mb-fm.aol.com> on Wed, 27 Mar 2002,
JSUPolek <jsupolek at aol.com> penned the following literary masterpiece:
>I tried a cloning experiment with electrocompetent cells, but used them in a
>traditional transformation by heat shock.  Nothing grew, not one cell.

As expected.

Electrocompetent cells are just washed cells resuspended in very low
salt conditions for electroporation by high voltage shock. They couldn't
possibly behave like chemically competent cells which are prepared very
differently.

>Everything went fine when I made my own competent cells (CaCl2).  Anybody else
>run across this?

Are you mixing up what chemically competent cells and electrocompetent
cells really are?

Duncan
sliced from time to time....

Duncan Clark