Autoclaving ACES buffer?

Wolfgang Schechinger wolfsc at ibms.sinica.edu.tw
Thu Mar 28 04:38:35 EST 2002

Dear Chris, it was quick enough ;-).

I remember there was a reocurring thread in this NG some time ago on
autoclaving some Northern Blot or RNA related solution (I think, it was on MES
or MOPS buffer turning yellow after autoclaving, you could search at
http://groups.google.com). Some people though used it yellow without apparent
problems. ACES also is a sulfonic acid, so you might have similar observations.

Anyway, chemistry suggests some hydrolysis (acetamido-residue), but defining
the extent is difficlult. If sterile filtration is inconvenient, I'd just give
it a try and look if

a) Campylobacter still likes it
b) pH changes significantly
c) buffering capacity changes (just record change in pH when adding constant
aliquots of acid or base to say 10ml of autoclaved buffer)

Regards,
Wo

> It's a buffer we're using for a defined media for Campylobacter. It's
> N-(2-acetamido)-2-aminoethanesulphonic acid
>
> pKa=6.9
>
> Quick enough?

-----
Dr. Wolfgang Schechinger