EtBr filters for ccd camera

Michael L. Sullivan mlsulliv at facstaff.wisc.edu
Mon May 20 08:10:17 EST 2002

I've been using a regular digital camera to take pictures of EtBr
stained gels on a UV light box.  I've been using no special filter
with it.  Following taking the picture, I do a few manipulations in
Adobe Photoshop Elements (i.e. I change the image to grayscale, use
the "autolevels" setting-- which takes care of any contrast problems,
and resize the image).  I've found this system to be working quite
nicely, with pretty good image quality, even with relatively small
amounts of DNA (e.g. a few ng).  Cheaper than a polaroid, and cheaper
than commercial gel documentation systems.

Mike

--

Michael L. Sullivan, Ph.D
U.S. Dairy Forage Research Center