Cloning problem

E Patterson epatters at uwo.ca
Sun Nov 10 22:37:53 EST 2002

If you're using just a a run of the mill plasmid, my first guess is
you're REALLY not supposed to try to stick a 14kb insert into a 4kb
plasmid.  From what I recall plasmids generally can only handle <7kb.
Read the plasmids manual and it will probably say in the intro what the
maximum size is.  You'll probably need a cosmid for something that's
14kb.  I've not ever worked with them before though because I've never
stuck more than 2kb into a plasmid.