Best cell lines and media for baculovirus expression?

Robin Colgrove robin at alumni.caltech.edu
Mon Nov 18 16:39:04 EST 2002

A few years back, I was doing large scale (20 liter) baculovirus preps
and spent a lot of time developing a set of good, low-cost techniques.
Now, our lab is getting back into the baculo biz and I wanted to catch
up with current expertise.

Talking with Invitrogen, it looks like one can buy 10 liter bags of
SF-900-2-SFM for ~$340, and buy from them spinner-adapted SF9 cells
for this medium. That's fine for initial work but could hurt if we
need to do lots of 10 liter class preps.

We are going to express a 62kd nuclear RNA binding protein and will
eventually want crystallographic amounts. Does anybody have any good
ideas/opinions/experience on cell-lines and media?

Thanks,

Robin Colgrove
Department of Microbiology and Molecular Genetics
Harvard Medical School