Wiil Glycerine, formaline, create problems for PCR

Wolfgang Schechinger hubahopp at gmx.de
Thu Nov 21 10:28:31 EST 2002

Dear Pandu,

formaldehyde is likely to impair your polymerase activity. To my knowledge,
HCHO is used in some hot start applications. The result largely might
depend on final concentrations and the individual reaction conditions, also
the presence of HCHO alternative targets like albumin.
Glycerol will affect stringency. To be sure, better precipitate and wash
your DNA (your virus should be inactivated) or at least use a PCR buffer
that contains ammonium sulfate (might scavenge some HCHO).

Or just try and make some quality control.

Regards,

Wolfgang

At 07:16 AM 2002/11/21 -0800, dr_pandu at yahoo.co.in wrote:
>Dear All,
>
>I preserved suspected material of BHV-2 Virus in 50% glycerine PBS and
>10% formaline.
>
>Let me know how to proceed further for conducting PCR?
>
>Eagerly waiting for the reply
>
>Yours
>pandu

---