How low pH to hydrolyse DNA

Wolfgang Schechinger hubahopp at gmx.de
Thu Nov 21 10:34:00 EST 2002

Bjoern,

Not sure if HCl will destroy DNA efficiently. You could incubate some DNA
at certain conditions and try to recover it by PCR. I assume you want to
exclude carryover and unspecific contamination.

I'd recommend a few % aqueous hypochlorite (bleach) instead. Will kill DNA
and bugs by oxidation within minutes.

Wolfgang

At 01:51 PM 2002/11/21 +0100, Bjørn Ove Sætre wrote:
>In our DNA (mostly PCR work) lab we regularly wash some glass and plastic
>ware in diluted hydrochloric acid to get rid of DNA. Now we are wondering
>how strong the acid solution should be. A 0.1 M HCl has a pH around 3. Is
>this sufficient to hydrolyse DNA or should it be even more acidic? I guess
>the time factor is also of importance as even pure destilled water with pH
>around 6 will hydrolyse DNA if enough time in room temperature.
>
>Bjørn

---