Help! ethidium bromide accident!

David Micklem dmicklem at cmgm.nospam.invalid
Wed Nov 27 18:18:02 EST 2002

In article <O8cF9.2102$LX4.2744363 at newsserver.ip.pt>, Pedro Lourenco
<pedro.lourenco at mail.ineti.pt> wrote:

Assuming this isn't a troll...

To put it in perspective, in the modified Ames test 5 micrograms of
ethidium bromide (ie far far far far more than you are likely to have
exposed your skin to) produces roughly 18 times _fewer_ revertants than
the condensate from a _single_ cigarette (PNAS 1975, vol 72,
p5135-5139).

Add to that the fact that _most if not all_ of the ethidium bromide
will have bound to protein in your skin, and got nowhere near your DNA.

The risk to you from this exposure is miniscule. I believe that it is
incredibly unlikely that your rash had anything to do with ethidium
bromide.

The UV light probably did your DNA more harm. Generally speaking, the
UV transilluminator you use to look at your gels is probably much more
of a real hazard to your health than the ethidium bromide is. (I know
lots of people who are ultra-paranoid about ethidium bromide, but have
managed to give themselves a UV sunburn off the transilluminator.
Totally daft.)

Relax, enjoy life.

David

--
D.R. Micklem,              Time flies like an arrow...
Dept. of Genetics,          Fruit flies like a banana.