Measuring pH in 95% DMSO solutions?

EK khatipovNO-SPAM at NO-SPAMuchicago.edu
Thu Nov 28 18:26:19 EST 2002

DMSO does not dissociate to form H+ or OH-, thus it does not contribute to
pH (after all, a measure of concentration of H+)
I would suggest just making a 10% CH2ClCOOH in water (4.5 parts H2O, 0.5
parts  CH2ClCOOH ), adjust pH to 5 and mix it with 95 parts of DMSO. Same
concept applies to, e.g., preparation of Tris-buffered phenol (even though
phenol is not miscible with water): you always assume that the inorganic
solvent does not contribute to pH value. Thus, mixing say 100 parts of
phenol with 1 part of Tris buffer pH 8.0 is considered as preparation of
phenol pH 8.0. Same for e.g. 80% acetone in phosphate buffer pH 7.0, etc.,
etc.
-Emir

news:DSpencer-6C9D4C.13483528112002 at News.Dal.CA...