Help! ethidium bromide accident!

Peter Ashby p.r.ashby at
Fri Nov 29 07:54:46 EST 2002

In article <3DE631E6.2040506 at>, Sergio <yokese at>

> D.K. wrote:
> >  Third, it is really not a potent carcinogene - there is
> > really no good data showing it has any carcinogeneic properteis
> > on in vivo level (rats drank it on the order of g/kg and were OK).
> Any reference about this last subject?? Just to convince some
> ethidium-paranoic coworkers.

I know what you mean I once overheard some coworkers obsessing about it.
The language they were using would have been appropriate for an
infective encysted pathogen. I wear gloves and am careful, but there is
a big difference between that and obsession.

Peter Ashby
Wellcome Trust Biocentre
University of Dundee, Scotland
Reverse the Spam and remove to email me.