Measuring pH in 95% DMSO solutions?

D.K. dk at no.email.thankstospam.net
Fri Nov 29 21:27:21 EST 2002

In article <MhQbpyDKc559EAn4@[127.0.0.1]>, Duncan Clark <d_clark at genesys.demon.co.uk> wrote:

>I'm not too surprised because when I look at just how much one now has
>to learn to, purely based on how much science has moved on since I
>graduated 25 years ago, something has to be omitted. You can't cram all
>that extra knowledge plus practical skills into the same three years it
>take to graduate.

I contend teaching all this new knowledge is not necessary. Cutting
down on the physico-chemical nature of interaction between
biomolecules in order to squeeze the latest on regulation of mRNA
in Biochemistry course is just plain stupid.

Kits are clearly a necessity in today's research but the advantage
they bring comes at the expense of better education. It's got to
the point that most new students not only dod not know how pH
electode is calibrated, but they don't know how to use pH meter
properly.

First things to be taught are ones that are needed most, right?
Well, basic practical skills, thorough understanding of basic
underlying principles, good analytical skills and healthy
skepticism is all it takes. With regards to that, nothing
has changed in biology in the past 20 years.

DK