Opinion on Self sterilizing incubators

Bev A. Kupf bevakupf at ebv.mimnet.northwestern.edu
Sat Nov 30 09:12:26 EST 2002

On 29 Nov 2002 19:33:30 -0800,
    bob (utsuxs at hotmail.com) wrote:
> I saw a couple of pamplets on self sterilizing incubators (Sanyo and
> Thermo-Formo).
> Both are heating element air heated as opposed to a water jacket.
>
> 1st question  Do the modern air heated incubators provide uniform heat
> as well as the water jacketed types?

Yes.  I've had them for several years, and they've worked as well as
as the water-jacketed incubators have.  They've been less work to
care for, and there is no difference is how cells grow in either
incubator.  They have internal fans that circulate the air to reach a
temperature equilibrium quite rapidly.

> 2nd question  Do these self sterilization models really work?

Don't know.  We have two that reach 180 degrees for 3 hours, but we've
never had serious contamination that has required us to decontaminate
the entire incubator yet.

Bev
--
Bev A. Kupf