gene regulation in knockout mice

Nick Theodorakis nicholas_theodorakis at
Tue Oct 29 18:31:56 EST 2002

On 29 Oct 2002 20:26:15 -0000, yongwee at ("Yong Wee Wong")

>Hi there,
>I am working on the gene differential expression screening (by microarray)
>using a gene deficient mouse model. In the array screening, there is a gene
>3 folds down-regulated. This gene is very closed to the knockout gene on the
>same chromosome(About 1 000 000bp apart). Has anybody come across this case
>before in the knockout model? Could this downregulation caused by physical
>location on the chromosome/ or the transgene? thanks

Interesting question. In a new online journal, there is some
discussion of "transcriptional territories" in Drosophila: apparently
there is a tendency for some genes to be regulated similarly just due
to proximity. See:

Nick Theodorakis
nicholas_theodorakis at