Post-transcriptional regulation, why?

Michael L. Sullivan mlsulliv at facstaff.wisc.edu
Tue Sep 10 08:45:15 EST 2002

>Yes, I do understand that it would be advantageous in these cases.
>But what about constituvely expressed E.coli proteins that the cell
>needs to have at a constant level? Why would evolution design
>sub-optimal translation efficiency of these? Why not just have a
>weak promotor and let translation be optimal? It seems to be a waste
>of energy to make mRNA which will be degraded before translated
>because of inefficient translation.
>
>Trond Erik

One answer I think is that it's sometimes hard to know that something
really is needed at a constant level.  Researchers often don't look
at every condition, and the lab is hardly the real world where many
organisms are faced with constantly changing environments.  So it's
hard to know whether some particular level of regulation is *really*
wasteful or not.  One thing is certain: at worst, these seemingly
wasteful mechanisms are on balance not detrimental, otherwise they
would be selected against by evolution.  More than likely they confer
an advantage of some sort.

Mike
--

Michael L. Sullivan,