Expression of chemokine receptor in RBL-2H3 cells

Louis de Leseleuc deleseleuc at myrealbox.com
Tue Sep 10 20:38:37 EST 2002

So many things you can do, and some many things that can go wrong. Let's
see:

1) Sometimes cell lines will not properly express proteins from gene
originating from other species, especially proteins that go through the
secretory pathway. They will get stuck in the golgi or endosomes or such
because the cell lack the proper targeting equipment. I have seen this
happen with monkey kidney cells trying to express human
hematopoietic-specific membrane proteins. Your human to rat strategy, as it
seems, could result in that. To see if it is the case, you can do some
immunofluorescence on stably or transiently transfected cells (don't try PE,
it bleaches). Or you can do FACS with permeabilized cells.

2) You can transietly transfect your plasmid in some easy high-yield cell
line like 293T and observe protein expression by FACS or Western/dot blot.
This helps you prove that your gene is "expressible", and that the protein
is not degraded.

3) Did you linearize you plasmid? This helps to generate optimal clones or
populations. Cut in the AmpR region.

That's a beginning. Good luck!

Louis

news:20020909173640.9512.qmail at web40514.mail.yahoo.com...